Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Health Study: Odds are that you will you get fat

(Bob Barker, proof that not all old men get fat. He's fit as a fiddle at age 123)

A recently released study that followed 4,000 Caucasian Americans showed that 9 out of 10 men and 7 out of 10 women will become overweight. "Even those who made it to middle age without getting fat were not safe. Half of the men and women in the study who had made it well into adulthood without a weight problem ultimately became overweight. A third of those women and a quarter of the men became obese."

I think the study's results are far from surprising. Anyone with keen observation skills could tell you that as people get older, their bellies expand. I even argue that getting fat is part of the beauty of aging. When you get old don't you have the right to sit in your lazy boy armchair, eat bon bons and watch the Price is Right all day? What's more, as people age, they become less active due to health problems, so isn't it obvious that they will pack on some extra weight? When I'm a weathered and cantankerous old man I'm going to wear my gut with pride on America's beaches. I will lather SPF 50 on my stretched marked mid section and strut in front of the gray-haired fat women on the shore. Actually, writing this and picturing stretch marks on my stomach makes me want to throw up my morning coffee...so maybe when I'm old I'll lay off the bon bons, but if you think I won't watch the Price is Right, you have another thing coming. And don't worry, Bob Barker will still be alive when I'm 70, he sleeps in an anti-aging chamber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home