Monday, August 22, 2005

Dane: Popular but still funny

(lame cover art, but a worthy purchase nonetheless)
When people are fans of something on the ground floor, they tend to get a little weird when that something becomes popular. Case in point, I was a huge fan of O-Town, back when they did their stuff with an independent record company, but when they got signed to a major label and the pre-teens began to flock to them, I called them sellouts and burnt all of my O-Town records and paraphernalia. However, I have come to the realization that this is no way for a true fan to behave. As long as the artist stays true to their craft, and the quality of their work is still good, they deserve to become popular and should be enjoyed by others.

So, now that Dane Cook has officially hit the big time, I refuse to get mad or possessive. Yes, I was a Dane fan before many knew of his BAMF stage presence and piss your pants stand-up. I'm okay with the fact that the NY Times ran a story about him, and that his Myspace friends are way hotter than mine. I am happy that his new CD "Retaliation" has reached mega popularity, and I am even willing to ignore the incredibly cheesy cover art on the CD + DVD because it kicks so much ass (except the tense moment when he scolds an annoying audience member...I'm still recovering from the awkwardness). I just hope this his heightened fame will land him better roles than his appearance in the upcoming film "Waiting"starring Van Wilder and the kid from the First Jeepers Creepers movie. I saw the preview for the movie and it looks wretched, but I could be wrong.

2 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you can still appreciate material, Pick. No matter the amount publicity I get, I will always appreciate my loyal fans, especially those that have been with me since it all started.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Erik Klingman said...

I had friends like that in high school, who would be like, "I knew this band back when all they did was play local shows and I was like one of 3 fans. They suck now."

It's a totally lame attitude and I'm glad you're a bigger man than that. Also, Dane Cook is a comedic genius.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home